Human bones ?

jaylocke

Hi all I was thinking when realbotix tries to get an android to walk they say that the metal skeleton wouldn't support the wright of an android (at least that's what I heard) well anyway has anyone looked into the idea of using human bones for the androids skeleton, obviously the bones could only be attained through ethical means, just a thought.

BubbaGumps

Aircraft grade aluminum -6061 is lightweight and has greater tensile strength and rigidity and it isn’t brittle like bone. Look up dodgeman stance modifier. They are made of aluminum and one small load arm supports the weight of the entire doll. Bones would be a very poor choice for any application. Bones can support a load but they fracture too easily. They are way too brittle. You want something if the item tips over or suffers an impact, the skeleton won’t fracture. And the idea of using human bones is something that is over the top. Would only serve to reinforce the negative opinions many people have above the dolls and those who own them. Would up the ‘bizarre creepy’ factor in their minds. Would even creep me out and I own a doll. So I think hurdles would go beyond practical considerations even if the material had an advantage.

Last edited:

Marshall

What makes you think a metal skeleton is not up to the task ? Aircraft grade aluminum -6061 is lightweight and has greater tensile strength and rigidity and it isn’t brittle like bone. Look up dodgeman stance modifier. They are made of aluminum and one small load arm supports the weight of the entire doll. Bones would be a very poor choice for any application. Bones can support a load but they fracture too easily. They are way too brittle. You want something if the item tips over or suffers an impact, the skeleton won’t fracture. And the idea of using human bones is something that is over the top. Would only serve to reinforce the negative opinions many people have above the dolls and those who own them. Would up the ‘bizarre creepy’ factor in their minds. Would even creep me out and I own a doll. Not to mention designers wouldn’t even consider the idea it’s so out there.
Yah , I definitely second what BG says !!! Stick with aluminum or carbon fiber. Bones would put the creep factor to off the chart levels for me !!!! No way !!!

Brick

Brand Ambassador Advisor
Staff member
I think human bones are too brittle for robotic use. The only upside from a biological viewpoint is they can regenerate and repair themselves. Now, I do think that finding something that could be regenerative in a robotic skeleton would be a huge technological advantage in robotic use. Dont stop thinking out of the box, Jaylock. Thats what this tech needs, different perspectives to find a breakthrough, to move it forward...

Marshall

I think human bones are too brittle for robotic use. The only upside from a biological viewpoint is they can regenerate and repair themselves. Now, I do think that finding something that could be regenerative in a robotic skeleton would be a huge technological advantage in robotic use. Dont stop thinking out of the box, Jaylock. Thats what this tech needs, different perspectives to find a breakthrough, to move it forward...
I do have to second what Brick said here. I think a biological like product would be the way to go. And I’m talking about muscles. Artificial muscles have already been produced. They don’t look anything like real biological muscles but they behave like them and even better. I don’t know if they can regenerate or not. But they are strong, light and fast. There’s a few videos out there on YouTube addressing this issue. in my opinion, I think servos, pulleys and belts and gears will become a thing of the past. Too much noise, too much maintenance too bulky etc.

Phil_02

What a 'Wicked' Thing 'two' do....
Using human bones to increase the potential to invite/introduce poltergeist activity to a doll maybe the least (money wise) expensive way to animate a RealDoll. Though the results of the supernatural animation may be unpredictable, irregular and malicious. Still, can't beat the price...:p:D:eek:

(Totally kidding, I agree with Marshall)

Dasdertlydave

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow
Hi all I was thinking when realbotix tries to get an android to walk they say that the metal skeleton wouldn't support the wright of an android (at least that's what I heard) well anyway has anyone looked into the idea of using human bones for the androids skeleton, obviously the bones could only be attained through ethical means, just a thought.
That's settled then when I die I'm donating my body to abyss they can use my bones for the skeleton and my what's it to test the dolls functionality.

Dasdertlydave

They would need to Duracast the whats-it, post-mortem.
Seriously though maby with stimcell research maby they could cum up with some viable alternatives if your thinking about organic materials because you'd have to take muscle and tendons into account as well as the skeleton this would be well into the future as the whole thing sounds Frankensteiny now and you have the whole question of ethics to think about too. One thing that its definitely going to do is revolutionise organ transplantation in humans someday

Last edited:

BubbaGumps

If it were possible to use effectively, organic material would be too high maintenance IMO. I assume by organic you mean cell-based rather than just carbon-based as the term has different meanings. Living cells/tissues, whether bones, muscle, or flesh, require water and nutrients to remain viable, which means a routine food source is required and this also means the cells can die if not properly cared for, just like with a plant. Upkeep would just be too much of a PITA for a product like this IMO. Forget to water or supply nutrients and you're fucked.

Many people like myself without green thumbs can barely keep a houseplant alive...Maintaining muscle or bone cells grown in a sex doll OMG I can only imagine how that would go. I can't even remember to water a plant. Most people who get this product just want something they can put in a closet and take it out when the urge strikes. They won't want to deal with this kind of maintenance requirement. Someone puts the doll away and a week later they are thinking, 'What's that smell?? ...Shit I forgot to water the doll. '

Last edited:

Dasdertlydave

If it were possible to use effectively, organic material would be too high maintenance IMO. I assume by organic you mean cell-based rather than just carbon-based as the term has different meanings. Living cells/tissues, whether bones, muscle, or flesh, require water and nutrients to remain viable, which means a routine food source is required and this also means the cells can die if not properly cared for, just like with a plant. Upkeep would just be too much of a PITA for a product like this IMO. Forget to water or supply nutrients and you're fucked.

Many people like myself without green thumbs can barely keep a houseplant alive...Maintaining muscle or bone cells grown in a sex doll OMG I can only imagine how that would go. I can't even remember to water a plant. Most people who get this product just want something they can put in a closet and take it out when the urge strikes. They won't want to deal with this kind of maintenance requirement. Someone puts the doll away and a week later they are thinking, 'What's that smell?? ...Shit I forgot to water the doll. '
Hands up bubbagumps I didn't know that sorry for displaying my ignorance on the subject. So would carbon based work better?

BubbaGumps

Hands up bubbagumps I didn't know that sorry for displaying my ignorance on the subject.
Not ignorant. Innovative idea. It could probably be made to work technically given enough R&D and money and time. But you would need to find a way to grow the generic muscle tissue and support structures and have it remain viable as a working part in the doll. It just would not be practical or cost-effective--at least at this time.

But I really think the biggest hurdle with introducing actual organic cell-based material into the doll isn't really technical as much as it is about the creep factor as others mentioned. Public sentiment would create a backlash for sure. Right now many people I think have the view that, "ok I think owning a doll is weird but to each heir own". That would probably change to "This is downright crazy. We definitely need to ban this. " Reality is it would probably deal a severe blow to the doll ownership community in terms of public perception. Backlash would be heavy. Feminists who oppose these dolls to begin with would go from being irate to totally bonkers. Basically they would shit their pants.

Last edited:

Arthur D Sulser

Not ignorant. Innovative idea. It could probably be made to work technically given enough R&D and money and time. But you would need to find a way to grow the generic muscle tissue and support structures and have it remain viable as a working part in the doll. It just would not be practical or cost-effective--at least at this time.

But I really think the biggest hurdle with introducing actual organic cell-based material into the doll isn't really technical as much as it is about the creep factor as others mentioned. Public sentiment would create a backlash for sure. Right now many people I think have the view that, "ok I think owning a doll is weird but to each heir own". That would probably change to "This is downright crazy. We definitely need to ban this. " Reality is it would probably deal a severe blow to the doll ownership community in terms of public perception. Backlash would be heavy. Feminists who oppose these dolls to begin with would go from being irate to totally bonkers. Basically they would shit their pants.
This discussion has totally gone into the blade runner end of doll ownership because basically that's what everyone's talking about, a replicant...... I mean if you're going to grow a doll in the most biological way possible.....

Dasdertlydave

Yeah definitely agree bubbagumps